I notice I get a lot of traffic to my blog from Blogger Blogspot webmasters searching for tutorials on how to delete their blog so this has prompted me to write this post about deleting a Blogger blog. As most of us are trying to get our blogs up and running this post may not be very useful for you right now however you may have occasion in the future to want to delete a blog so read on in case the day comes when you need to know what you do.
Why Might I Want to Delete a Blogger Blogspot Blog?
There a variety of reasons why you might decide to delete your blog. Here are some common ones:
You have set up a test blog and have now finished with it
You are unhappy with the name you have chosen for your blog and wish to change it. Please note you can change the name of your Blogger blogspot.com subdomain for another subdomain name provided the address is available on Blogger. Or you can change to a custom .com domain name and have Blogger redirect your blog traffic to your new address. You may want to consider these options first before proceeding with deletion)
You have tried blogging and it is not for you and you want to get rid of your blog all together
How to Delete a Blogger Blogspot Blog
1. Login to Blogger if you are not already logged in
2. From the Dashboard select the blog you wish to delete. Make sure you are in the right place if you have more than one blog
3. Navigate to Settings > Basic
4. If you think you may want to come back to your blog at a later date you can use the export tool to export your blog before you delete it. To export your blog click on Export Blog in the Blog Tools menu. If you aren't interested in exporting a copy of your blog to your home computer skip this step
5. Under the first heading Blog Tools click on the Delete Blog link
6. You will be taken to the Delete Blog screen in Blogger. Check again you have the right blog displayed by checking the name which should appear just above the row of menu tabs.
7. A warning message like the one pictured below will be displaying:
8. If you wish to proceed with the deletion then click on the Delete This Blog button
9. You will now be returned to the Dashboard. Notice that your blog is no longer displayed in the list of blogs. If you wish to view your deleted blog you can click on the Show All link at the bottom of the Manage Blogs list in the Dashboard
10. You will now be able to see your deleted blog including details of its deletion date. Follow the link provided to undelete this blog. Blogger allows you 90 days grace.
In this tutorial we have covered some basic reasons why you might want to delete a blog and the steps involved in actually deleting a Blogger Blogspot blog.